Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Start of Winter Update

I realize it's been a while since I've updated. R2-A4 continues to move along. Some weekends I leave it alone, others (like this one), I've been jamming. I have all 3 ankles, the center foot, halfmoons, and most of the horseshoes done. I have routed the legs and next weekend I'll start glueing those. 

So far, even though it's been about 5 degrees at night, the garage has been warm enough to work. Heavy jeans, heavy shirt, beer, and a cigar keeps it warm enough. Plus Jindrus' car parks in the garage, and the engine warms everything nicely. 

I found my old airbrush and dremel tool at my Dad's house on Thanksgiving in the garage. Score! Besides the sentimental value of having beloved tools from when I was 12 or so, I also have like-new equipment to use. This little find saves me at least $200. All I need now is an air compressor, which I couldn't afford as a 12-year old-- now I can!

Using auto bondo has been a disaster. Abandoning that and using styrene chips melted in Weld-On#3. I just place it all into a new paint can and leave it overnight. Next day, plenty of melted goop. It works PERFECTLY. Easy to work with, dries solid, and it's easy to sand. Plus, it's free!! 

300mm Dome should be arriving in the next few weeks. JEDI Controller seems to be Spring 2011 sometime. I'll be taking the large plans I can't print 8.5x11 to Kinko's sometime soon.  Had to order more Weld-On#3, this time a full quart to save on shipping. Stuff is magical, but a tad pricey.

That's all for now. I'm guessing once I have the legs done I'll be getting really anxious. Need to order a lazy susan bearing for the pending dome, and three scooter motors. The lazy susan will be $140 and the scooter motors are only $45 for all of them. Project is mostly paid for now. Just some paint, and lights, and the control device. Oh yeah, trim parts too. That will be a lot. Shhhhhhh......

No comments:

Post a Comment