R2 was officially finished just before Halloween 2012. I had him all ready to go, but then I stripped one of the motor shafts and R2 was back in the repair bay. He was able to make a quick appearance for trick-or-treaters though. Eventually, I solved the shaft problem, and he was ready for Thanksgiving-- total hit with the kids. Just before Xmas, we went to the pediatric ICU at Renown and handed out a bunch of Star Wars toys, courtesy of Hasbro and Jerry. R2 showed up again at Xmas, and then the big one- New Years at Dave's. This was the big one- Dave had no idea I had been building this for the past two years! Naturally, R2 was a big hit and several VIP guests, including one from ILM, were all impressed and eager to take photos with the sassy droid.
This just about ends my chronicle of the great R2 build of 2010, 2011, 2012.....
I'll post here from time to time with some upgrades and appearances. Our next planned trip is back to Renown in April/May, then a maker's fair in San Jose in August, and hopefully a Lucasfilm event somewhere in there.
No comments:
Post a Comment