Last day has been stressful. I checked with Daren about a 300mm aluminum dome, which is the best dome out there. Laser etched and beautiful. $550 though. This caused me to re-evaluate this entire project, since I do not want to spend $8000 on building a droid. Can you imagine? That's way, way, way too much. If the dome is $550, then an aluminum frame is going to be $2000, and the aluminum skins at least $1000. Alum legs another $2000....(!!!!!!)
My stress mostly comes from not knowing what material to use, and where to start. Wood frame with metal skin, all metal, resin frame with styrene body.... ? The decisions and options are endless.
I have found a local styrene supplier. Tripp Enterprises, Inc in Sparks has 3mm 48x96 HIPS sheets for $46. This is really good news.
Reviewing the plans by Dave Everette, I can have Kinko's print all the blueprints for .75c a square foot to scale. Should be around $50 for all the plans.
At this point, I anticipate this entire project will be under $2000, including tools.
This Friday I am building my new workbench.
No comments:
Post a Comment