Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The R2 Project: 2013

For a while now, I've been thinking about doing something that combines my model skills with the kids. I was thinking of remote controlled (r/c) cars or maybe even a helicopter. Then I was looking at race track cars, and then just models. None of it really sang out. And then, like an epiphany from the gods, Celebration V in Orlando delivered the vision: We are going to build our own R2 unit.

Besides being a depository for our growing recipes and daily lives, I am going to chronicle this project from it's very start. Sort of a running digital diary of a new builder's frustrations and accomplishments.

The next Celebration is in 2013, and so June 2013 is my deadline. My budget is no more than $200 a month. If a part costs more than that, I'll have to save and wait. So, here we go.....

NAME: R2-A4  aka "Aye-Four" 
MEANING: All R2 units have to have "R2" as their first designator. After that, it's up to the builder, but it must be unique. The third character must be a letter, and the fourth must be a number. Anna starts with "A," and the "D" in Derek is the 4th letter in the alphabet. So, there you go. Name has been registered with the R2 Builder's Club.net.
COLORS: This will be a standard R2-D2 unit in silver, white and blue.
MATERIALS: I intend to use CNC Aluminum for the frame and dome. Resin parts for the most serious components. Styrene for other parts, including the skin and scratch-building various parts. 

This project kicks off August 20th with some tool purchases and building an adequate workbench in the garage. I've needed to do that for sometime anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment